Sunday, December 11, 2011

Last Post of the Semester...

I have five days left in Salamanca.  My first semester here is coming to an end.  The time has gone by faster than I ever could have imagined.  I haven't been counting down the days until I have to pack up my things, say good-bye to some of my friends, and get on a plane to London and then Chicago.  But now counting down the days is hard to resist.  I love everything about this place...the people, the beauty, the food.  It has already been the experience of a lifetime.  In the AIFS office, Gaye has a list of twenty-five things to do in Salamanca.  I am proud to say that I have done about twenty-two of them.   I know that my time abroad will be a continuous influence on my life.  I am elated to have more time here next semester.

Plaza Mayor, Thursday, December 8th, 6:30 in the afternoon. 

After being in Prague for so many days, I have enjoyed just being home.  This weekend has been pretty uneventful, with the exception of the Real Madrid-FC Barcelona soccer game last night.  Our family had a pool for the game.  The winner would have received a grand total of eight euros but none of us guessed the correct result of the game.  I love the little things that I have done here.  Betting on a soccer game, discovering a hidden spot, watching the lights turn on in the Plaza Mayor...that is why I love this place so much.  Salamanca will always feel like a second home.  That being said, my eyes tear up every time I think about seeing my folks in the airport this coming Friday.  I love being home.  I am so excited to see our house decorated for Christmas.  When I arrived in Madrid after my trip this past weekend, I saw families greeting their loved ones at the airport.  I couldn't help but think of home and how it will feel walking through the international arrivals gate at O'Hare.  It will be hard to focus, but today I have a lot of studying to do.  Our final exams are this week.  I have already started packing up my things to come home.  AIFS is hosting a farewell dinner for all of us on Wednesday.  Thursday evening, Salamanca celebrates Nochevieja Universitaria.  Students from all over Spain come to the Plaza Mayor to have a premature New Year's Eve party before everyone leaves for vacation.  This year, it just so happens to be the night before I come home.  In Spain, as a New Year's Eve tradition, you are supposed to eat twelve grapes, one with each strike of the clock.  For the students' New Year's Eve, we eat twelve gummy bears.  Honestly, it is the perfect way to end the semester.  And that just leaves Friday.  I have had that date stuck in my head for the past three and a half months:  Friday, December 16th.  It is finally here.  I cannot wait to see my family and friends.  Until then, besos y abrazos.     

No comments:

Post a Comment