Sunday, October 9, 2011

Stunning Segovia...

Yesterday, I fell in love.  AIFS took us to the beautiful city of Segovia and it was like a fairytale unfolding in front of me.  Every corner we rounded was a turn of the page.  Segovia is enchanting.  The first thing you see as you enter the city is the soaring Roman aqueduct that has been standing for over two thousand years without a drop of mortar between its granite stones.  The aqueduct was used to bring water to the city from the mountains more than fifteen kilometers away. 


Upon arriving in Segovia, we were taken on a professional tour of the city.  We walked along the cobblestone streets, stopping every now and then to listen to the history of various monuments.  Our final destination was the Alcazar of Segovia.  Situated at the highest point of the city, the Alcazar acted as a fortress protecting Segovia.  The original palace was destroyed in the mid-nineteenth century and has been reconstructed since.  What we saw yesterday was the beautifully remastered estate that inspired the castle in Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty.  


After visiting the Alcazar, we had some free time to roam through the streets of Segovia.  A few of us girls stopped into a cafe for a cup of coffee and just enjoyed the beautiful Autumn day.  Before heading home to Salamanca, we were taken a few kilometers outside of the city to Los Jardines de La Granja.  La Granja was a royal retreat set in the mountainside and is surrounded by charming gardens and alluring trails.  I could have spent the entire day in those gardens.  It was so calming to sit on the steps and take in the sheer beauty around me.  It was a wonderful Saturday.  My pictures from our day trip to Segovia are up on Facebook along with some new photos of Salamanca from this past week.  In other news, today Meredith and I will be getting some new roommates.  Two girls from England are coming to stay at Angelita and Fabi's home for about a week.  We're both excited to meet them.  Wednesday is a national holiday in Spain so almost everything will be closed, including the University of Salamanca.  Since we don't have classes, a few of us are hoping to go horseback riding in the countryside on Wednesday morning.  Then next weekend I will be in Toledo and Madrid.  There are so many things going on this month!  There is a theater in Salamanca that hosts ballet companies, concerts, and plays for the community at reasonable prices.  I really want to go to a concert showcasing orchestral music inspired by the poetry of Federico García Lorca at the end of October.  I'm trying to make the most of every day that I have here.  Time is moving so quickly.  I feel like it's because I have so many things to look forward to.  Whether it is something as simple as having ice cream with a friend or something as unbelievable as my trip to Morocco in November, I am always looking ahead.  Un abrazo.  I'll post again soon!            
     

No comments:

Post a Comment