Wednesday, May 23, 2012

And they're off!

Because we have to pay for the internet in most of the hotels, I will be writing the next few blog posts in Microsoft Word instead of on Google Blogger.  I’ll publish them when I get a chance, so bear with me if they’re a bit delayed.  We’ll be home soon!     
First Stop
With happy hearts and tired feet, my folks are dozing off in our Madrid hotel.  Outside our window I can hear the shouts of protestors, the hum of helicopter wings, and a slight wind rustling the leaves.  We are taking a well-deserved rest from almost five days of full-blown tourism.  We have seen all of the major sights in Madrid and yesterday we even took a day trip to Segovia.  I think I’ve tuckered them out.  This was my third time visiting Madrid and my third time visiting Segovia.  Despite that, I’ve never had this much time in either place.  Mom and Dad saw all of the things it would be shameful to miss in the capital city of Spain:  Museo Nacional del Prado, Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, Palacio Real, and Plaza del Oriente.  But we discovered some new places together as well:  Jardines de Sabatini, Parque de Buen Retiro, Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, Mercado de San Miguel, and El Rastro flea market.  We spent a chilly but beautiful day in the fairytale town of Segovia, northwest of Madrid.  That place is one of my favorites in Spain and I’m so happy that I was able to share it with my folks.  Aside from being caught in a brief hailstorm in the middle of Puerta del Sol and the cold winds in the mountainous region of Segovia, we’ve had wonderful weather.  I’m always thinking about finding a reasonably-priced restaurant that serves food Dad will try.  I’m always looking behind me, making sure that I haven’t gotten too far ahead of Mom as she snaps a picture.  I’m always reminding myself to just relax.  As I sit in our hotel room, resting my exhausted body, I am thinking about our next stop:  Barcelona.  Who knows what adventures await us there.  Just like in Madrid and Segovia, there will be places that my folks will have to see and that I’ll want to see again.  But I’m excited to visit the places I didn’t have time for when I was there in January.  January.  That seems like a lifetime ago.  As my year abroad comes to an end, this Spanish adventure with my parents is just beginning.  I’m sure it will be full of jokes about how many miles I’ve made them walk, but I know it will be full of amazing memories too.                    

No comments:

Post a Comment