Sunday, November 13, 2011

¡Arriba, abajo, al centro, adentro!

I am not a wine connoisseur.  I don't think I ever will be.  Many people have the impression that Spaniards drink wine with lunch and dinner every day.  That is not the case in our house.  Angelita and Fabi never drink wine with meals.  But yesterday, I got an education in wine-making and wine-tasting.  A large group of international students took a day-trip to the towns of Toro and Zamora to visit two local wineries.  The first winery we visited was a family business and you could tell.  Everything they did to make their wine was authentic and small-scale.  The second winery was industrial and we definitely noticed.  The winery was a massive complex that included the vineyard, a restaurant, the wine-making facilities, a ballroom, and a castle-turned-hotel where you can wine and dine your sweetheart for the modest price of 250 euros a night.

 











The wine was good.  The conversations were great.  After visiting the vineyards, we were taken to an underground wine cellar for dinner.  The cellar was converted into a restaurant that specializes in grilled meats and oddly-named shots.  I won't repeat the names of the drinks in this blog post but I'm sure you all can imagine what I'm referring to.  The owner of the restuarant made friends with our table, probably because we were all girls.  He proceded to tell us dirty jokes, all the while smiling with his toothless grin.  Having dinner in that restaurant was an unforgettable experience, to say the least.
 
The pictures from this weekend are on Facebook!  They are in the "Toro and Zamora" album.  On another note, I leave for Morocco in four days!  I'm a little nervous but I can't wait!  I've said it so many times...but I can't believe how fast time is going by.  I'll be talking to you all again soon.  Look for another blog post about Morocco in a week or so!  Besos y abrazos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment