Thursday, September 15, 2011

Getting ready for Andalucia!

I'm sorry for the delay, everyone.  There hasn't been a whole lot going on this week except for our exams so I didn't have much to write about.  Let's see...my last post was on Sunday.  On Monday and Tuesday afternoon I spent a lot of time studying for the exams we took yesterday.  The tests were meant to gauge our progress in our four orientation classes.  I'm happy to say that orientation is done tomorrow.  I'm just excited to get into the semester routine and for things to settle down a little bit.  After studying on Tuesday, Tristan, Meredith, and I met up in the Plaza Mayor for drinks.  A few of the girls that live in the student residence joined us later with their ice cream.  It was so relaxing to just sit in the Plaza, sip a delicious cup of coffee, and watch people pass by for a few hours.  The Plaza Mayor changes drastically depending on the time of day you pass through it.  In broad daylight, it is a light sandstone color under the bright blue Spanish sky.  But at night, every facade is brilliantly illuminated against the darkness of evening.  

 
   







A quick side note:  You know how in the U.S. we have "Friday the Thirteenth?"  Well, here it is "Martes el Trece."  Tuesday the thirteenth is bad luck, at least in Salamanca.  I thought that was sort of interesting and wanted to squeeze it into this blog post somewhere.  On Wednesday, we had our exams and everyone seemed to do really well on them.  While the exams may have been the most important part of yesterday, the most exciting part of the day was the Corrida de Toros.  I won't share all of the gory details but I'm so glad that I went to the bullfight.  It was an amazing cultural experience.  A lot of AIFS students went last night and we couldn't have picked a better day to go.  We all sat in the cheap seats, or nosebleed sections if you like baseball, which they call "sol" seats here.  This is because we sat in the sun without any shade.  However, last night was perfect because it wasn't very sunny to begin with, plus we were under a roof.  So when it started raining, we were so happy to have the seats that we did.  The bullfight itself was amazing to see.  Yes, it was violent.  But I saw some of the best toreros from Spain and Mexico and I don't regret the experience at all.  I know that a lot of people have a problem with bullfights and animal cruelty in general.  But it is important to remember that in Spain and Mexico the Corrida de Toros is an art, not a sport.  Additionally, the bulls live like kings until their day in the arena.  That may not change many opinions out there, but I appreciated the event for its cultural significance and history. 


That brings us to today, Thursday.  I've been pretty tired just because yesterday was so busy and long.  I'm settling very well into daily life here.  Everyday I feel more comfortable.  I feel like this is a second home now.  I actually think it is a really good thing that it already feels normal to me.  That doesn't mean it's boring by any means, because I discover something new each day.  It just feels...right.  I probably could have said that more eloquently but it is what it is.  It's a good feeling.  Salamanca is a dichotomy of sorts.  The same building can look so different at different times of day.  The city seems so big yet is so intimate.   People appear to have so many things to do and so many people to see but there is always time for siesta in the middle of the afternoon.  The week goes by quickly but the pace of each individual day is relaxed and tranquil.  Salamanca is antique and contemporary all at once.  I feel incredibly lucky to be in such a place.  This weekend AIFS is taking us on a trip to Andalucia.  We'll be down south Saturday through Tuesday.  I can't wait to see the Alhambra, which is a palace in Granada, and the windmills made famous in Don Quixote.  It should be a really fun trip.  It's silly but I can't wait to take a nice long shower in the hotel Saturday night.  While living in a homestay was absolutely the best decision for me, there are certain things that I have to be conscious of.  Showers would be a good example.  In Spain, it's important to conserve water and electricity.  So, we take really quick showers...no more than five to ten minutes.  And we unplug all of of electronic devices during the day when we aren't home.  Anyway, it will be nice to be a little extravagant in the hotel...maybe an eleven minute shower instead.  On that note, I think that's all for now.  I won't write again until we return from Seville, Cordoba, and Granada on Tuesday.  But I'm sure I'll have a lot to write about and a lot of pictures to post as well.  I can't wait to share this upcoming weekend with everyone back home!  New pictures are up on Facebook from the last few days.  But don't worry, nothing too gruesome from the bullfight last night.  I'll post again soon.  Besos y abrazos.  Kisses and hugs.   

No comments:

Post a Comment