Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Seville

Second city:  Seville, home of the world's greatest Gothic cathedral, La Giralda tower, and the Alcazar complex.  I'm going to be honest right now.  My first impression of Seville was not that great.  We spent two nights in the capital city of Andalucia.  Our first night was fairly uneventful because there weren't any planned excursions until the following morning and our hotel was not near any major tourist attractions.  As a result, I wandered the streets with a few other students, not knowing exactly where we were.  If you know me at all, you know that I don't like that sort of thing.  I got very anxious and nervous because we were in the third largest city in Spain, a place none of us had ever been to before.  Thank goodness we had a second day in Seville.  Otherwise, I think I would have had an unfavorable impression of this city forever.  Our second day, however, was great.  In the morning we took a professional coach tour of the city, stopping at several places along the way.  Among these were the Plaza de España and the Alcazar complex.  


The Plaza de España, pictured above on the left, is incredibly large and grand.  We did not spend much time here but this plaza made a lasting impression.  The same can be said for the Alcazar complex, pictured above on the right.  As we walked through its tropical gardens, I felt like I couldn't possibly still be in Spain.  It was so different than the region we live in.  Much of the Alcazar is in the Mudejar style, similar to La Mezquita of Cordoba and La Alhambra of Granada.  The Alcazar is the oldest royal palace still in use today.  More than anything else, I wanted to climb La Giralda tower while we were in Seville.  After lunch and a short siesta, Meredith and I, along with our friend Cary, walked back to the cathedral.  La Giralda is the original minaret of the mosque that once stood on the site of the present-day Gothic cathedral.  It is considered Spain's most perfect Islamic building.  Atop La Giralda is El Giraldillo, a sixteenth-century weathervane, which represents Faith and is the symbol of Seville.  



While the cathedral itself was breathtaking, the views from the top of this Islamic tower were unforgettable and definitely worth the climb.  Our second day in Seville, September 18th, was also our good friend Tristan's birthday.  So that night we went out for pizza and drinks at a restaurant along the Guadalquivir River.  We got some ice cream on our walk home and it was truly one of the best nights I've had in Spain.  Good food and good company make for a great night.  It was so nice to spend that time with a group of friends that I've grown to care about.  On to Granada!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment