Thursday, September 22, 2011

Granada

Third city:  Granada, my favorite city of the three we visited and the home of La Alhambra.  This city was magical and sultry.  We were there for less than twenty-four hours but I will never forget what I saw and experienced.  After arriving at our swanky hotel, we left almost immediately for a tour of La Alhambra.  This fortress was built on top of a hill known as La Sabika and the towering Sierra Nevada mountains form the backdrop.  It was truly amazing to witness this view.  Our professional tour guide took us through the sprawling pathways and gardens that wind throughout La Alhambra's complex and we were also able to see several of the most important rooms in the fortress.  The palace-fortress was actually abandoned during the Napoleonic occupation of the eighteenth-century and just barely escaped being destroyed.  That alone made me appreciate this building even more.  Words cannot do La Alhambra justice.  The intricately carved facades and delicate pillars looked as if they had come out of a fairy tale...too perfect to be real.  


     

After the tour of La Alhambra, everyone from our program returned to the hotel to rest.  We walked so much during this trip!  In the evening, we had the option to see a Flamenco show.  Only about fifteen people decided to go because of the extra cost.  But honestly, I would have spent twice as much to see what we were lucky enough to see.  We took our bus to the Sacromonte, Granada's centuries-old "gitano" quarter, located near the Albayzin neighborhood.  I don't even know how to describe the environment in which we watched the Flamenco dancers.  We drove through narrow and winding streets to the crest of a hill, on which were several bars and dimly lit rooms.  The room where the Flamenco dancers and singers performed was essentially a cave.  It was definitely not what I was expecting but I think our experience was better than if we had seen a performance in a theater or arena.  We walked into a long rectangular room of whitewashed walls and rustic lights with chairs lined up along the edges.  I want to mention quickly that Michelle Obama actually visited the exact Flamenco tablao that I am describing.  Her picture is hanging on the wall at the end of the room.  Pretty cool!  I should also apologize for the lack of pictures from the show.  I got a few photos of the dancers but it was so mesmerizing to watch that eventually I just put my camera away.  The dancers were literally right in front of us.  I could feel the breeze as their skirts twirled past me.  I could see the potent expressions on their faces so clearly.  I could feel the vibrations in the floor as they stomped their feet to the rhythm of the music.  And I could not stop smiling.  I can't stop smiling now, just remembering it.  
  
Believe it or not, I actually got up and danced with them!  A few of us were chosen from the audience to dance for a few moments with the beautiful Flamenco dancers.  It was so much fun!  I even got some compliments from mis amigas guapas, which means "my pretty girl friends," on my dancing.  In a word:  Unforgettable.  After the Flamenco show, we were given a tour of the Albayzin neighborhood.  I saw breathtaking views of La Alhambra at night from the edge of the cliff.  That evening was magical.  I wish we could have had another night in Granada.  Lucky for me, I get to go back next semester.  We spent the night in Granada and left in the morning to return to Salamanca.  Even though it was outside of the Granada province, I want to mention the windmills that we stopped to see in Consuegra.  These windmills were referenced in Don Quixote, the famous story by Miguel de Cervantes.  The protagonist of this story, Don Quixote himself, was ill and believed that these windmills were giants.  He battled these "giants," but unfortunately I can't remember who won.  On top of that hill, standing in the shadows of the windmills, I felt so at peace.  It was perfect...the quintessential Spanish landscape.  

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment